Bed Pillow: How to Choose the Best One for You
A step-by-step guide to picking the right bed pillow
Do you know how much human sleep?
On average, we sleep 1/3 of our life, so as important as it is to wear a pair of comfy shoes is to own a good bed pillow. Without the right pillow, no matter how many hours you rest, the quality of your sleep will not be the best one. And what's more, it will likely lead to neck, back pain, and muscle stiffness. Nowadays, a simple research on pillows will show thousands of results and it can be normal to feel overwhelmed by the ample choice of materials and shapes. If you are not completely sure which is the most suitable pillow for you, keep reading here. In this guide, we are going to talk about the 2 main things you have to take into consideration when buying a new pillow: sleeping position and pillow filling.
- Warm and Cozy DIY Bedroom Decor Ideas
- Make the Bed: the Unspoken Benefits
- Best Plants for the Bedroom to Help You Sleep Better
- Enhance the Romance in your Bedroom
SLEEPING POSITIONTo choose the correct pillow you have to start by knowing your sleeping habits. What's your sleeping position? There are 3 possibilities: side sleeper, back sleeper, and stomach sleeper.
Feathers/Down PillowsTypically made from the plumage of goose, these pillows are very malleable and retain warmth, great to feel cradled on cold nights. As they are made of natural material, they are breathable and durable. The main difference between down and feather is that down pillows are made with lighter and softer feathers, which don't have the sharp ends that could poke through the fabric. Feather pillows tend to be harder. If you suffer from allergies or asthma, it is best to avoid this kind of filling. You can use synthetic options instead.
Down Alternative PillowsAs the name indicates, it is the synthetic alternative to the above filling. As they are not made from real feathers, they are cheaper and can be a great option if you wish to buy the down/feather feeling without compromising your pocket, health issues or your ethical ideas.
- Exquisite Design: neat double stitching prevents loose threads
- High-Quality: 28 ounces polyester fiberfill is lofty, soft and pliable; 233 thread count 100% cotton shell has high density and thus down proof
A perfect choice for those with allergies as they are breathable and mold, mildew and mite resistant. This popular filling offers great support and has an average higher loft, therefore it is best for side and back sleepers. The downside of latex pillows is their "rubbery" odor.
- Hypoallergenic, antibacterial, anti-mite & doesn’t lose its shape
- Provides support to your neck & shoulders to help relieve pressure points
- Breathable design & zippable cover
Memory Foam PillowsFirm but molding to the shape of your head, shoulders, and neck, alleviating pressure points. This kind of filling is made of polyurethane and they tend to keep warm as they are usually not breathable. Memory foam pillows work best for back sleepers as they are not malleable. Due to manufacturing processes, this kind of pillows has a slightly unpleasant scent that will fade away after a short time.
- Contoured design with high and low loft to support your neck and shoulders
- Breathable pillow cover to dissipates excess body heat
- Removable knit cover and machine washable to keep it always clean